- 6 extra-large crimini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced 4 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 tablespoons Italian style breadcrumbs
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, plus more for topping
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley, freshly chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- REMOVE the mushroom stems from the caps. Mince the stems and set aside.
- SPOON out the insides of the mushroom caps to create more room for the stuffing. Set aside.
- HEAT a pan on medium-high heat and allow to heat up.
- ADD 1 tablespoon olive oil, minced mushrooms stems, and diced onions. Cook for 5 minutes.
- ADD the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- ADD in the Italian sausage and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- MIX the sausage with the breadcrumbs, mozzarella, Parmesan, and parsley.
- SEASON to taste with salt and pepper.
- STUFF the mushrooms until full and top with more mozzarella cheese.
- DRIZZLE the rest of the oil on the mushrooms.
- Preheat to 320°F (150°C), and allow to heat up.
- PLACE the stuffed mushrooms into the preheated
- COOK the mushrooms at 320°F (150°C) for 12 minutes until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.